Monday, March 2, 2009

Letting people in

Letting people in

Everyday we interact with any number of people. Everything from passing someone in the aisle at the grocery store to having to met with a teach about a paper you wrote. So why is it that after 20 years of interaction I still have trouble? I don’t know how to open myself up to someone new even when I want to. I want to make new friends and let them see who I really am. I have put on a mask for the world almost everyday, and now I don’t know how to take it off. I have noticed lately that I am one person outside my door and a completely different one in my apartment with the door closed. I am learning to be a better person who is more in control and yet I can’t seem to get to the point where I can let people see that. All they see is the quite reserved girl who can’t seem to keep up a conversation for more then 5 minutes or the one who is trying to hard to seem happy and normal that she just comes off as odd. I just want to be me and to feel comfortable and happy with that.

I am a very complicated person. I love to play but I also love to just sit and be quite. I love having time to just be. I love talking and not having to feel like there are things that I should talk about and things that I shouldn't. I don't like that there is a side of me that I'm scared for the world to see because I'm so sure that they will judge me for it. I have been so blessed with roommates who love me, take care of me, and except me for who I am. They have been so good to me but they won't be able to stay with me and take care of me forever.

Long story short, I have a lot of work to do.

1 comment:

Dave H said...

melissa, we all have a lot of work to do. you have your challenges, as do i. i think we have more in common than you think, although our challenges are different. sometimes i'm sure we both feel like they are insurmountable, but i am learning to have a greater hope that they are not. i hope that you can have that hope too. my favourite chapter in the BoM is Alma 26, mostly at the end, because every time i read that my testimony is renewed that god loves me. for some reason, he loves me. and he always will. its something i dont really understand, but i LOVE that scripture and it gives me a lot of hope.